Monday, June 9, 2014

Mondays with Mary taking a break



Mondays with Mary is taking a break for a while.
I am working on two very big projects and I hope
to have the one sent off to the printing press
before I leave for France in September!!!
So in the meantime, I will be sharing some
of my very special doll shadowboxes with you -
well, they are very special to me, that is.


This is a box with an Arles lady in a traditional wedding dress.

When I attended the Rom (Gypsy) festival in Saintes Maries de la Mer,
I first saw women in these graceful traditional outfits.  They wore
these during the processions and the shop assistants and
other traders wore it for the week of the festival.

I always had a soft spot for dolls and miniatures, but
my trip to rural France sent me over the edge.
I bought bags and bags full of miniature costume dolls
at the flea markets and when I got back home
I had to do something with all these dolls.


For this one I used lots and lots of lace (also bought at
the flea markets) and ribbon and paper that looks like lace.
The image in the background is a copy of a set of postcards
that I bought in Arles of paintings by a local artist.




Here you can see the wonderful detail of this little doll's dress.

In Arles, at a festival that follows on the Gypsy festival,
we watched women do traditional dances in these dresses
and it really caught our imagination.



I have to add that we were already transported by the
mystique of the Gypsy festival and every detail
was etched into my mind.

I started creating these shadow boxes to capture
this trip and the next one and the next one!
and I found a wonderful shop on Etsy called
Plastickingdom.  The owner, Marie, lives in France
and collects these tiny dolls as part of her hobby
of historical research on the history of the region
and its culture.  

If you are interested in reading more about the
festival and my experiences in 
Saintes Maries de la Mer, you can go here :

http://hergracedevata.blogspot.com/2011/10/spanish-lady-who-stole-my-heart.html

I have quite a few more shadow boxes and dolls
which I would like to share with you!

have a wonderful week

love, Hettienne



2 comments:

  1. I will miss your meme, but I understand your need. I hope all goes smoothly with your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will so look forward to see more shrine. What a fabulous trip it was and will be again.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I appreciate feedback and interaction.