Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Day Six of Twelve Days of Mary



From the Litany of Loreto :

Spiritual vessel, pray for us
Vessel of honour, pray for us
Singular vessel of devotion, pray for us
Mystical rose, pray for us
Tower of David, pray for us
Tower of Ivory, pray for us
House of Gold, pray for us


The Loreto shrine, the traditional house of Mary, the dwelling of the feminine aspect of God. At sunset it is bathed in gold and so it is often referred to as the golden house. 




Gold is a symbol of grace and spiritual virginity. 
 Gilding of images of gods and saints in India was
 meant to show their spiritual perfection and how 
they hearken from a world beyond ego. 
 Halos are gold auras betokening the divine light 
that emanates from saints who are incarnations of the divine life.




A custom was to bronze the shoes in which a baby first walked.
 Mary is the house of the ego that has been gilded because
 she walked the path from ego to Self. She represents 
the completed process of the ego/Self axis. By the invocation, 
House of Gold, we commit ourselves to enter
 the mansion of spiritual individuation. 
 What happened to her, happens to us : we make
 a series of choices and surrenders that move us 
from cellar to attic and then down to earth 
and out into the world with treasures to share.



In the fire of creation, gold does not vanish: the fire brightens. 
 Each creature God made must live in its own true nature;
 how could I resist my nature, 
that lives for oneness with God? - Mechtild of Magdeburg

Mary, we enter the house of your golden radiance
We find in you the virtues 
that make our world a house of gold
We share with you the house of earth 
and join you in making it a palace of light
We offer the sunrise and the sunset to you
Help us in our beginnings and our endings
May we make the world a house of 
golden love. (extract from prayer by David Richo)

Golden blessings!

11 comments:

  1. Fascinating commentary. I didn't know much of what you offered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your words here, Hetienne. I have studied some Jung and I had not thought of Mary's path as one of individuation from ego to Self. But I can see how it would be and it is a beautiful reminder and path for others to take. I think the beginning of the Magnificat says it well:
    My soul magnifies the Lord,
    And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior.
    For He has regarded the low estate of His handmaiden,
    For behold, henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.
    For He who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is His name.
    Peace and Light my friend,
    Noelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. such an incredible textile work and your words speak the divine....thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautifully golden!! And yes every day is Mary day for us. I had trouble with both of your links too - there is a period before each one somehow and the link fails. Thought you should know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful!
    Have a great day.
    Always, Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  6. And a beautiful golden blessing to you as well.

    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would bathe in the prayers of the Mystical Rose...

    My Lady Comfort

    ReplyDelete
  8. dear hettienne,

    i am home from my long long day. before i began making my pilgrimage from one mary to the next i fixed every link that needed adjusting. all is well.

    your post is truly inspiring. we both used the same image of mary for our shrine work!
    the original was created by currier and ives.

    your words and the idea of traveling from the self to sacred, through our thoughts and actions so powerful and like "the little flower" we know that love is actualized in each and every small act, thought and word.

    i am so enjoying this golden walk with you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this post-I feel like I never gave the significance of gold and why it is seen as important and a form of elevation enough thought. I was working on a OLG piece last night and the 'underpainting' is literally gold gilding. I know it is important, but the elements behind the why is just as important.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I appreciate feedback and interaction.